Wednesday, August 17, 2016

This Takes the Cake!

I talk a big game about cake decorating but I rarely get a chance to. So when my friend Yvonne planned a big 40th birthday bash I decided it was time to have a go.
We sell a heap of cake decorating things in our shop - we're not just about sewing - and I determined to only use what I had at hand. So that is: coloured fondants, tylose, cake boards and cards, blingy numbers, edible pearls, and the cake tins we hire out.
I went for 6" and 7" sized round tins, two cakes from each to make a tall cake. The tops trimmed flat. I got a bit muddled and sandwiched the top one with jam, but the bottom two are separate cakes, so we can unstack them for cutting. The cake itself is chocolate, made with the cupcake recipe I favour, and I made 6 x the usual amount. That's a dozen eggs worth! I skimmed these with buttercream icing. As you can see, them is tall!
Upturned dinner plate and Tupperware container playing duty as turntables. Sometimes I reckon I missed a successful career as a plasterer.
I made a pile of blossom flowers a couple of nights ago out of fondant with tylose kneaded into it to make it set properly. The centres are edible pearls. I stuck them in with glue made of tylose and water. The only thing extra I did was to press every blossom on a soft surface to give it a softer 3-D shape. Lots of processes!
Here's the cake assembled - the ivory bottom and orange top both covered in fondant. I am really bad at this! Especially with such a deep cake. The bow is also fondant strengthened with tylose. I made the bow last night so it had time to set. Ignore the 40 on top, I realised the top needed something else.
Aha! A ball of leftover orange fondant to give some height, then I made some leaves, popped the 40 into it, and covered it in leaves and flowers. Pretty!
Flowers stuck on with the tylose glue. I can't get over how effective it is! The flowers are fairly heavy but they went on with a smear brushed on the back. No slip sliding. however because of all the creases in the fondant that the flowers could only disguise so far, I realised we needed something more serious around the bottom.
And here we are. Probably too many flowers on it, but it does look less fussy in person. I got all the leftover fondant, rolled it into 12mm balls, and arranged them in colour order around the base. It just finished it off nicely.
So, all ready for Saturday night. The fondant and buttercream will keep the cake fresh. It's a nice, tasty cake and the jam helps!
This cake was easy to put together, it just takes patience to go through the various processes needed. And things need leaving overnight to set and dry. I couldn't have got this together in one evening as cakes needed baking and cooling, blossoms needed to dry etc. I did something for it every evening this week but it didn't take all evening.
In terms of the design, I Googled 40th Birthday Cake for ideas, and found this one:
You can probably see some similarities. But sadly, we have no black fondant until the end of September. My approach to these kinds of projects is to get an inspiration, then forget it. I never try and copy things I see online - I don't know what they used, how they did something and I would rather use what I have. Also, you know how it is - the home job is never quite as swish as the professional job! So why put oneself into the position of a direct comparison. For example, the black and white cake is buttercream so it has nice sharp edges that fondant doesn't make.
No, I am perfectly happy with my imperfect work. I won't be flashing pics of the inspiration cake around on the night, and the pretty fruity colours of my version suit Yvonne better than the stark black and white one would.
So there! ;-)







12 comments:

  1. Wow,that cake looks amazing. I love the colours compared to the black and white inspiration. It really looks a lot of work. I am sure your friend will love it. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I like things about both but I also think food should look yummy, and to me the fruity colours are more appetising!

      Delete
  2. Aren't you a clever bunny! Such a fabulous gift - your friend's very own personal birthday cake. I'm sure it will be a great party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a 1940s party, Jenny so the cake isn't in keeping, especially as with sugar rationing there weren't many iced cakes around then! Sadly I have gotten ill again and my throat feels terrible, and I am meant to be singing at it. :(

      Delete
  3. This looks amazing, and just as good as the black and white one (but more fun!). It's very pretty and I'm sure your friend will love it. I think the coloured balls around the base are genius - far easier that attempting piping. I have never heard of tylose. I will have to look into that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's clever stuff, a sort of gum that looks like gelatine when dry. I love how it can be used in two different ways. Both of them need doing the night before and once you knead the powder into the fondant (just a pinch) you need to cover it in gladwrap as it wil strt to set.

      Delete
  4. Stellar cake!!! Yes, you would have been a master plasterer. Heh. Such patience. This will definitely make a lasting impression at the big birthday bash. Your talents...!

    I hope you are feeling better for the party, or at least get a chance to dramatically lip-sync a few numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I screamed into the mike instead. Not at the party proper but once the public karaoke was opened up around 11pm. Take a little piece of my heart indeed.

      Delete
  5. All I want to know is Did it taste good? I bet it was tasty. It looks tasty. It looks really tasty. I want cake tooooo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun birthday your friend had.. Love the cake..

    ReplyDelete