Sunday, June 11, 2017

The Women in my Living Room

I love collecting pieces of Art that represent and celebrate women in all their diversity. In my home I get to filter out all the depressing cookie cutter imagery we are usually bombarded with -curating for women that inspire me, and that I get to relate to. And I will keep building my collection too.
Here are some examples from my living room.

This is  Christmas card my darling friend Adele sent me a couple of years ago. I had it framed. It says everything about us both that we love! (we both adore fruitcake too)

I've owned this limited edition casting for nearly 20 years. I love that she is an angel, she is shapely but powerful and has SO much attitude!
I have such a soft spot for Our Lady. I deliberately ignore all the tosh that is talked about her. I see her as an enduring image of the female aspect of God. And I love the art that is made of her, especially in Mexico. This lamp delights me and lights me. And I did make it. It's not wonky, it's just the photo.
This painting is really big - about 55x65cm. I bought it off the wall at a cafe in Christchurch - the artist's work didn't really light me up but this painting was different. I adore the richness of colour, the light, her voluptuousness. The frame really set it off.
I found out soon after that it was a copy of this painting by Tamara de Lempicka, of her lover - the Beautiful Rafaela. I actually love my version better, for its deep colours and more accentuated voluptuousness.
   
There are no idealised beauties in my home that I cannot relate to!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love all of your pieces, and love the reasons behind your joy in them. :) The framed card is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! We are agents for a framing service too so I can't resist getting pictures framed!

      Delete