Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Frock Tweaking

Hello! Long time no chat! I've been busy and it's all not very interesting really. I did the Christmas Caburlesque show on 4 December and we did a variation of it - bigger cast, more variety, over the hill in the Wairarapa.

I'm tired of my red Christmas dress really, so I decided to try something else. This dress I made in 2017, and I've honestly never loved it in spite of it being the most ambitious costume I've made. I just felt the result never delivered on the effort.

It feels like a dress a child would wear at a pageant. The bottom flounces droop instead of being deliciously frothy. It's not long enough or too long at the front. Meh. So, I stood in front of the mirror in it and pulled and hoiked and hitched, and bingo!

The result! the frothy flounce pops now, it has proper hi low, I prefer the assymetry and the hitch makes the dress a bit narrower. It's caught up with some strong stitches, and I'm going to play with the rest of the flounce to see if I can make it turn out more too.

It's the only costume I have that has a blue/green base as they're not really my colours but I LOVE the way the sequins on this fabric are shifting shades of blue, turquoise, lime and jade, just delicious!

The froth is green and blue organza, and because the fabric is translucent, the colours mix to make these turquoise colours. YUM.

I'm not sure that my Snag Christmas tree lights tights were the best choice to wear under them on the weekend but hey ho!


2 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs. C.,
    I just love the dress. The colors are gorgeous...I adore blue and green and silver together...and the way you hitched the hem up is perfect. You have a summertime winner! Just a few accessories and you can play a naiad.
    Very best and merry Christmas,
    Natalie across a pond and a continent

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this dress! Merry Christmas Mrs C! From Kat and Neave

    ReplyDelete