Friday, July 22, 2022

Tales from CovidLand

 I am late to a party nobody wants to attend - my husband D and I both have Covid. I feel it is basically inevitable at this stage, given the winter onset spike. We've both been pretty sick but it has eased off fairly quickly. Still sick five days in, but feeling human again. So, skipping over the obvious things, here's what I have found.

In New Zealand, the sick person and their whole household must isolate for either 7 days from the onset of symptoms. SEVEN DAYS without going out, legally mandated. It is heaven. I was a little shocked by this realisation but i don't recall a time when I was sick when I didn't feel guilty for not working! Being guilt free feels a lot healthier. This revelation has given me pause for thought all right.

It is complicated. With D not being able to be at our shop, that leaves us short-handed. Then we have people on holiday and otherwise unwell. We are so incredibly lucky that our shop manager is a superstar and found a ringin, rostered anyone who had any time at all, and has worked 8 days in a row. He is a STAR.

Miss.Mx Burlesque Aotearoa is tonight (Saturday 23 July) and I was meant to host. It's my favourite gig and only happens in even years, and I have made a FABULOUS new costume. I was putting up two out of town friends who have had to relocate.

In both of the scenarios above, the appalling weather that closed Wellington Airport on Thursday has caused further stress and uncertainty. However thanks to some generous plane seat trading, all of the staff, AND all of the contestants, made it home on time. Phew. 

But hey, it could be so much worse. I am really not complaining, just noting how something like this can disrupt life more than a typical does of flu.  

Today after days of rain, wind and freezing temperatures, we awoke to still, sunny bliss.

I'm not in this picture and I don't like it!




2 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs. C.,
    Well, phooey: a double bummer. Thankfully you all are coming out the other side of COVID okay, and wow, have you been fortunate in your employees. That speaks to the quality of management and owners, no?
    Finally, no stage time. Well, at least your costume is ready for the next go around.

    Here our family is still waiting for the COVID shoe to drop. Because of my immunocompromise, we've been living in a bubble, but with school starting soon, it's Iikely to pop. Ah well..
    Again, glad you all are on the mend,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Natalie, maskwearing and hand sanitation are everything. If the boys are able to wear masks it can make all the difference. I am pretty sure I caught it from a surface; I just touched too much and didn't wash enough. Until you have had two boosters, do be super careful and even then. I still feel rotten and it's starting to worry me. xo

      Delete