Saturday, August 29, 2009

SPCA Cupcake Day fun

I've been making cupcakes for tomorrow which is SPCA cupcake day. To be honest I don't really care who gets the money for them, I just lurve making cupcakes. They are so insanely prissy and cute!


I've made my usual rose-flavoured ones, and a batch of chocolate for good measure. The white chocolate butterflies I made a few weeks ago have been augmented with pink and chocolate coloured ones, little flowers and chocolate pairs of leaves. A few silver balls on the choc ones to finish them off.


I am no expert in making decorations but I have discovered there are a few products that make it all sooo easy. Lustre powders that you can turn into metallic paint with the addition of some gin or vodka, baking paper and the one product that will turn a trip to Snotfight into a pleasure, disposable icing bags.

Here are the pink and choc decos, note the butterfly pics under the baking paper that I used as patterns.

These cakes turned out quite flat - in spite of having 2 teaspoons of baking powder to one cup of flour, which is twice the usual proportion, they really didn't rise into a nice curved top. I think this is because they are too big. Normally I make teency ones but these ones are muffin sized. So, by using a good firm butter icing, I made an initial 'pile in the middle:



then worked into the middle to form a wee Mt KauKau of icing.
























A perfect slope on which to perch the butterflies.

The sad thing is that I think I've blown up my cake mixer, it just stopped working between one batch of icing and the other so I had to make the chocolate with a hand held one *sigh*. Perhaps it's time to get that Kenwood I've always pined for...



No comments:

Post a Comment