Sunday, March 3, 2013

A Peacock Shirt for my Fella

My darling peacock loves his new shirt.. He is soliciting compliments from everyone who comes into the shop today. I suspect some are just being polite about it. It IS gorgeous, even though I say so myself, but not to everyone's tastes!

Making this shirt was an exercise in patience and practising my technical skills, great fun! Based upon the same pattern as the last shirt, a 1970's western style pattern, this time I took the points off the front yoke to simplify it, but left it in the back. There is quite enough going down with this print already.
The front button plackets,cuffs, collar and collar stay are all backed with a contrast fabric. But the best fun of all was matching the peacocks on the front across the plackets. The pocket was easy, but the fronts don't match in the middle because of the added plackets, and so positioning them on the fabric to all line up...well the whole process of cutting it out took five yards of fabric and five hours.
I now have a bunch of this fabric left over. I do love it and a use will surely reveal itself some time!
Two down, two to go. I think I may try another 70's pattern. I love these slim fitting, big collar shirts!

22 comments:

  1. Wow, that's so impressive. And awesome that he loves it so much! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. And of course he chooses or at least vetoes all fabrics - no wa am I putting that much work into a garment that isn't worn! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow what a labour of love and it turned out beautifully. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fantastic! Hope to see it in person soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally awesome !! I love the fit, and the fabric with how you've matched it is wonderful....suits the shirt and model perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does, he is a bit of a peacock himself when given half the chance :)

      Delete
  5. If my fiance would wear more exciting clothes, I'd be more inclined to sew for him... I love this shirt so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! David I know has always had a yen for flamboyant clothes but I couldn't get him into anything like this. It's only been since we bought the business. He'd NEVER wear one to his other office job, that's suit and tie boring stuff!

      Delete
  6. ah i love it! he looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmm... he'd definitely like the fit, but am not sure how much of a pattern guy he is.x

      Delete
  7. Dear Mrs. C.,

    What great fun to wear! Makes a person happy looking at it.

    Very best,

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in total awe. Your skills are incredible Mrs C. I wont be showing Mr O this shirt in a hurry though. in case he gets ideas above my station!!! What a very lucky fella you have x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I do confess, Janene, that while I enjoyed the challenge somewhat, the next three makes I have planned for him won't be matched to the same degree, and to make darned sure, I've only bought 3 yard lengths. ..yes, I am so enamoured of fabrics only suitable for men's shirts (on my planet anyway) I have three more in his queue. They are utter divas though!!!

      Delete
  12. Great to have someone who appreciates your skill.

    ReplyDelete