Monday, February 25, 2013

Fabric Inspiration

Darling readers, I want to show you this fabric from my stash. I adore it - it has so many qualities that I love - floral, border patter, embroidery, black and white done subtly, cotton, crispy and cool - I LOVE it. Did you get that I love it yet? hehe
Recently a woman came into our shop - wearing the most stunning smock top I felt a physical twinge of clothing envy. It was a kurta/smock/tunic/salwa kamiz style, but made in a not very Indian border print fabric. The plastron yoke front was made of the border facing outward on each side of centre front, and it was just SO pretty.
I went into the shop where she bought it the other day and they no longer sell them. I've searched Pinterest and Google for a similar top but I cannot find an image. WAAAH!!!
English Tunic Blouse
Source J Peterman Catalogue

This is the closest thing I could find, in my all time favourite catalogue, J Peterman. I cannot buy their stuff as it is too teeny for me, but I adore the illustrations, the stories that go with the garments, and that sense of timeless glamour and international chic J Peterman captures. This is called their English Tunic, which is exactly what I am aiming for. Although this one is perfectly plain, it is very close to the sihouette/construction.


Tamerlane The Magnificent Coat
Source J Peterman Catalogue

This Tamerlane Coat is a bit of a red herring really as it's not much like my top idea, but I love it. Honestly, if you've never checked out J Peterman, I do suggest you take a look. It's like stepping back into Casablanca.
ANYWAY, I want to make a top like the one I saw out of my fab border fabric. If you can imagine it, I hope it will riff a bit of English country farmer, a hint of Vita Sackville West, a smackerel of Raj, and even a touch of Regency. 
I don't have a pattern, and though normally I would just wing it, I am concerned because the fabric only has one border, and as I am built on grand lines, I need every last centimetre of it to get around the bottom and along the yoke. So, I may toile a bit of it. I'd also like to look at adding maybe a little solid black, maybe a coloured print - I just don't know until I try really. This is going to be a bit of an adventure, and I thought you might enjoy coming along for the ride.
On a different note, I haven't sent out all my giveaways yet - I've been really unwell and have been doing the barest minimum - but never fear they will get posted this week. AND I received one that I will post about soon, promise! But if you ever get that feeling where the world is moving a bit fast to keep up with, I'm in that space right now. Still, the coughing is calming down, no more temperatures and I don't have to have a lie down after walking up the stairs so I must be on the mend! :)

10 comments:

  1. *Squee* I love that print. I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't find a pic or pattern to help you recreate your inspiration, but maybe it'll lead to you making some additions and alterations that lead to something altogether new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha Matthew, it's not a print, it's all embroidered *drool* which makes it even more super special. And yup, I reckon a memory of another garment is better than the actual one, because then I won't be trying to copy it! :)

      Delete
  2. Sorry you've been poorly and glad you're out the other side. That is v pretty fabric, like you say, quite olde nostalgic. Could the wiksten tova tunic provide some kind of base? http://www.shopwiksten.com/product/tova-sewing-pattern-downloadable-pdf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny I thought Wiksten Tova as well! I've made two of these. Details here http://janessewandtell.wordpress.com/2013/02/17/wiksten-tova-the-second/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that fabric! I can't wait to see the top you make out of it - though definitely take some time to finish resting up. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hope you feel better soon

    Lovely material and that blue coat is fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you are on the mend. Coughs and such are nasty and can lurk for ages before they are finally ousted.

    Ooo, that fabric is gorgeous and I'm fascinated to see how you get on with this one. Sounds lovely to be sure.

    PS BTW I’ve nominated you for a Beautiful Blogger Award :-) . I hope you don’t mind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh I love that catalog. I want to buy all the things now. -Shell

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the fabric..and your idea for the tunic/blouse.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete