Saturday, September 28, 2013

From Table cloth to Table Lamp

It's my sister's birthday next week, and I promised her a pair of bedside table lampshades. I wanted to use the opportunity to try something new - not just a groovy fabric but some extra stuff too. Sister Jo is pretty artsy in her own right and appreciates a bit of bling
So, after rootling around in my stash of stuff, I unearthed an old tablecloth bought at the Sallies and popped off to Global-that-was to pick up some light green silk, and this is what I did:
 Making the lampshade using the pale green silk. Goes with my nails ;-)
The tablecloth. I think I paid $4 at the Sallies in Kilbirnie. 
Cutting a strip of the cloth slightly wider than the barrel of the shade.
A liberal coating of adhesive spray. I loathe the stinky stuff, I much prefer Mod Podge, but working with silk it gets tricky as white glues can mark it so easily.
 Erk, the sticky keeps sticking to itself...
 ...finally in business. I'm wrapping it around the green shade
keeping it nice and taut, and lapping the finished edge from the corner of the tablecloth over the cut edge.
After stretching and sticking it all down, I cut around the pattern as much as I could on the cut side, and left the 15mm extra needed for roll under where I couldn't do that. The other side I deliberately let under and overlap the edge.
 Rinse and repeat...
This what they look like with light coming through. "I have to be honest with you, I loves it. Tidy*".

*Blame reruns of Gavin and Stacey, Ness is my hero! Even more than Miranda!


21 comments:

  1. I loves these. They look great and even more amazing with the light on. Love the green nails too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look awesome - love that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Op shops, Teresa, it's amazing what people throw out!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you SBM! Knowing how clever you are at upcycling that is quite an honour! :)

      Delete
  4. Ok, I am coming to your shop for the next lampshade class. Heaven knows Mama Gypsy hates the ones in my house enough, and tbh so do I. These are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is really lovely MrsC, what a clever use of the table cloth. I adore it with the green silk, with the light shining through it is just magical. Lucky lucky Jo!
    Madame O.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fun thing to do and use some odd bits of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! Lampshades use so little fabric, like cushions or bags, but something different :)

      Delete
  7. That is SO pretty! I loves it too! Clever you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Purty! Lucky lady your sis. Like your nails too btw :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I. My nephew of 4, however, did not. Apparently green is weird, and Red is a better colour. So now they are red and he approves.Kids are so funny!

      Delete
  9. I've seen them in person of course but still wanted to say that these are fabulous. Not surprisingly.

    ReplyDelete