Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Why I love Burlesque

I like Burlesque.
I like the bling, the attitude, the sass, and I like the many gorgeous men and women I have met who participate in it too. We see plenty of showgals and guys in the shop, seeking affordable but impactful costume solutions. Which means lots of popper tape, velcro, diamante, sequins and boa!
Because I like it, I created Constance Craving, so I can participate in a way that works for me. I can sing, think on my feet and entertain an audience. Taking clothing off won't feature.
However, because I enjoy it and I intend to be introducing a lot of burlesque acts as an MC, I wanted to have a go at it.
So, for the last six Tuesday evenings I have attended the Level 1 class at Miss La Belle's House of Burlesque.
Miss La Belle. What's not to love! Source
There, we have learned to walk, pose, flirt, remove gloves and shimmy. But what we have learned most of all is how to love our bodies. How burlesque is 5% stripping and 95% attitude.
I am not sure all burlesque performers follow this philosophy. But it is how the fabulous, inspirational Miss La Belle does it, and what she teaches us. The performer is declaring that removing a glove is sexy and the chance to see her naked hand is highly risque. This is ridiculous taken at face value, but it is a game you play with the audience and if you do it with sass and fun, they will play along.
Now, above I said why I like Burlesque, not why I love it. Why I love it is because of what I have learned from it. Not from WATCHING it, but by DOING it. Doing it in a class with other ladies, to be clear.
On the sixth week of our class, we were going to learn the routine Miss La Belle showed us in the first class. It involved removing only a button up shirt and a skirt with a zip.
I came close to not turning up.
I am not a prude - nor am I particularly modest. But I was very confronted by the thought of doing this. You see, when I was a teen something happened for me. Nothing terrible, I simply didn't own a pair of jeans when everyone else in the choir did, and I felt like a total misfit and it was just one of those terrible teen moments when one's world falls apart. I had no idea that this moment had impacted my life for the last 34 years! But when I considered the appalling idea of taking my clothes off in a studio with other women also doing the same, but who would have the right kind of shirts and skirts and underwear and figures and rode unicorns home afterwards no doubt, I realised that the feeling was all too familiar and it wasn't hard to trace it back to that awful day.
And then I realised, I had a choice. I could honour the amazing women in my class, and get how we all had some kind of teenage experience and were all freaked out and there are no unicorns, or I could hang onto that old fear, and let it keep me alone and apart.
When you put it like that, it isn't hard to work out what to choose, yeah? :)
So, I LOVE Burlesque. I am never going to take my clothes off on stage, although I may peel a glove ironically. But I will be doing the next level, involving a lot more of peeling clothing, because participating in the process has permanently altered my world view for the better.
Honestly, it couldn't be better if there were unicorns.
Rainbow Unicorns Fabric
There ARE unicorns!!



20 comments:

  1. Well done you! :) Sometimes it's hard to remember that we have choices, thank you so much for the encouragement your sharing gives to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats super brave... I have been eyeing these classed for a while... just got an email in today actually!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do, you would have such fun! Wonderful learning for stage presence too :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this wonderful discovery! I live on the other side of the world, or I'd look you up when you take the stage to MC. And remove that one glove.....
    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful to have the presence of mind to question your own attitudes like that. It's so easy to give in to one's automatic responses, but it's brilliant to overturn them like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bea! I learned a loong time ago that the only thing coming between me and having everything is myself, so whenever it looks like I'm not going to have anything, I take a look in the mirror. In some ways it sucks, so much easier to blame someone else hehehe. But it works too! x

      Delete
  5. You go Constance!! How amazing to have had such an experience, such a revelation and to have found the unicorns!! I love hearing about your burlesque adventures and that it's brought liberation of sorts ( I'm talking inner liberation, not liberating yourself literally from clothing!) anyway, that it's brought this to you I'm delighted for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scruffy! That's quite profound really, comparing the liberation of my clothes to my mind. Ooh er! :)

      Delete
  6. Feel the fear and do it anyway! I try to coach my nieces and stepsons that some stuff might be scary, but there's 'good scary' and 'bad scary'. If it's the former, then do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well put! Actually very little in our day and age really is bad scary, we re so protected from real danger. Sometimes I think we'd have been better off having some real things to be scared of, it's better for the body than the ingrown irrational fears we live with...

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing your story. Enjoy your burlesque!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Proud of you! It sounds like such fun, and if I ever move down to Wellington again maybe I'll come along to a class :) It's terrible how we can be so impacted by such little things and then unconsciously carry it for a long time - it's a release when you figure it out!
    By the way, I adore that unicorn fabric. Too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it too sweet? We sell it - of course! :) It is terrible but it is in our design I believe. Still, the basic design is very sensible, keeping us safe, providing empathy etc. Just that it gets used for everything, all the little hurts and issues, not just for dark alleys and lions and tigers and bears!

      Delete
  9. Wow, how great to find a personal insight. :) It sounds really positive and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This does sound like a really positive experience - I have often thought about doing one of these courses, but I'm just so nervous/shy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful, profound, moving. Thanks for sharing it with us. You'll be amazing on stage and I really hope that one day you get to introduce me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Burlesque dancers are amazing. After taking a couple of classes I realized that it isn't about their looks or stripping, but it truely was all personality.

    ReplyDelete