Friday, August 24, 2012

My Neighbourhood, Part 1



This morning after getting into work early, I grabbed the camera and headed out to take some photos of my neighbourhood. I live and work in my favourite part of Wellington - the neighbourhood immediately around Cuba St. I have always loved this part of town, and although it has changed a lot in the last 30 years, it still has the same heart and soul.
This is Marion St, home to Made on Marion, my shop. It is only one block long, but it is very famous - for being a place to 'procure' at night! These days however it is a design hub, with architects, interior designers, kitchen shops etc...
 There we are close up! The sun is in the wrong place to get a nice exterior shot, but there we are. Next to the Theosophical Society in the little temple type building next door. We're not open yet so the bunting isn't out. It's very pretty and I get lots of inquiries wanting to buy it. I should do a class...
 And this red building, visible at the end of the street shot, is the Victoria University of Wellington School of Design. This, and Massey University's Design school a few blocks over, comprise a big part of our customer base. We love our students so much; their ideas, passion, commitment and talent blows us away.
This is 1 Marion St, at the other end to the first photo. All of that exterior detail is trompe de l'oeil paintwork! Home to Eleanor Steel Design, which is a gorgeous shop run by a gorgeous woman, it is also a famous Wellington landmark. The commemorative 'lady of the night' is one of the most famous pieces of public art in the city.
Anyway, Marion St runs parallel to the mighty Cuba St, and so I head across the road and down Swanns Lane, which joins the two together. 
Looking back towards the shop, you can see our big orange sign! This was, of course, totally intentional!
 Swanns Lane is home to some of my favourite neighbours. 
 Duke Carvell's Swanns Lane Emporium is asleep at this time of day - it comes alive later, with its own indoor/outdoor area, sidewalk tables, candles and music.
 The Met Shop's Terry and Moa! Terry and Sue turned a shop dedicated to selling MAPS into a quirky, irresistible gift shop. It is the home of all things slightly sciency, too. And they are lovely neighbours. Terry didn't even protest at having his photo taken!
This?!?!?!? This is the junk store. The guy who owns the building is a collector of stuff, and this little shop is chock full of ...well, rubbish really. It's not a working shop. Such a pity, as we would love another live neighbour. But, it is a fascinating place to peer into and try to identify all of its contents!
 On the corner of Swanns Lane and Cuba St, is Floriditas. My favourite cafe, where I frequently buy my morning flat white. This shop was the previous location of Made on Marion's predecessor, Golding Handcrafts. 12 years ago, Goldings moved to Marion St, and Florries moved in.
This is the counter top in Florries, over which I order coffee WITHOUT CAKE. Yes, this is as difficult as you imagine. I do sell the same cupcake papers, btw! (OK, sometimes, just sometimes, I choose the 'with cake' option. They make this pear, almond & caramel tart...)

And that is a tiny bit of my urban paradise. More to come!



14 comments:

  1. Looks like in interesting neigbourhood. There used to be a covered victorian market in my town where all the fabric (and sewing/alteration) shops were and a sewing machine repair place (with a similar nocturnal procument reputation)...then they knocked it down.
    Means I have to walk a long way to get to the surviving fabric shop now. Although it is in the back of a dance shop...so I get to look at the dance shoes. lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a pity it is gone, sounds like a fab place. What town is that?

      Delete
    2. I found a photo of it on flikr
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbullock/486250824/in/set-72157600179561477/
      It had all victorian ironwork and glass roofing.

      Delete
    3. That is so awesome! What a shame it is gone.

      Delete
    4. I know. If they'd refurbished it it could have been a tourist attraction with trendy fabric/craft, vintage and retro shops. Shame.

      Delete
  2. See? Now I want to visit Made on Marion, and the Moa shop. I mean Met shop.
    I'd resist the cupcakes (I'm not much of a cupcake girl), but pear, almond and caramel tart?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we clearly both have to get out and about more! ;-)

      Delete
  3. It looks like a great place to live and work! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great place - certainly something to put on the travel itinerary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! How charming, I love the area around Made Marion! Really lovely, how lucky you are to work in such a pretty and flavorsome area. :) Thanks for showing me around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so interesting to get a view from your world this way...and now I understand how clever the name of your shop is!! Looks like a colourful neighbourhood, inspiring and tempting in many ways!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just popped over from The Dreamstress. Hadn't realised you are the Made Marion lady. I found this post and it's feeding into my excitement over a short trip to Wellington next week. Will add Made Marion to my tight schedule!

    ReplyDelete