Tuesday, September 11, 2012

BabyQuilt Time

I'm teaching a beginner's patchwork class and so a class sample was needed. This is the baby quilt I made as a result. Two colourways of the same cute matroyshka print, one white background and one pink. I love this puss in the corner pattern, where pairs of the block 'kiss' each other on a diagonal. It was the very first quilt I made for a baby when I was around 12.
Sue B quilted this one in a big daisy pantograph that really suits it, in a variegated thread I happened to have. The class quilts will get quilted between classes 3 and 4, as this class is about patchwork not quilting.
I've already got another one cut out, that I will piece but not back and finish, so I can show the underside to the students as part of their learning process. It is in aquas, browns and lime greens. Such pretty colours - bright and cheery but not garishly so. I'm not a pastels fan and I don't think they suit babies anyway! More on that one later :)

6 comments:

  1. Very pretty! What I have always loved about quilting is the cool things sewing in a straight line can produce. This quilt is easy, but such a treat visually, I'm sure your class will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks W-I-F! I wanted something styly but completable. Outcomes are important for building confidence :)

      Delete
  2. I like that quilt. I'm afraid I usually get impatient and cut big squares when it comes to quilts even though smaller would be more aesthetically pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But that's because you do it by hand, which takes longer, so I can get that. It took about 2 hours to cut out and 2 hours to piece, but then I am speedy piecer. I"m hoping the newbies can get it all done in 7.5 hours!

      Delete
  3. Dear Mrs. C.,
    Usually not a fan of baby quilts, I sure do like yours. It's pretty without being cloying. I can imagine baby carrying it around for years and years.

    Very best,

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Natalie!! I've made so many of them and love to indulge those pastelly pretty, cloying fabrics on premmy quilts but for full size baby quilts or cot quilts I much prefer this kind of thing. The 'boy' colour one is coming along nicely too, can't wait to share!

      Delete