Sunday, June 23, 2019

On night clubs and meaningful conversations

After last evening's show I was persuaded to go out on the razzle. My normal post show routine involves heading home for bed! Instead my friend Wendy and I ended up at LuLus, a "tiki" bar famous for its ridiculous cocktails. We got in pina coladas in pineapple shaped glasses, then headed down the back to find a table.
Now I'm in full show sequin gown, crazy makeup and tall hair, not exactly blending in, and we got summoned to a table by two gorgeous young women sharing a bowl cocktail. An amazing conversation about life and being a woman; and I showed Sera a photo of me without all the stage makeup. Here eyes lit up and she said, "Can I tell you a story? A few weeks ago I was in Moore Wilson (supermarket) and this lovely woman told me she loved my eyelashes. I'd just got the extensions done and was feeling weird about them and I said back to her, "Oh, they're not mine." The lady said to me, "honey, you paid for them, they're yours, own it, I know what I'm talking about, I'm a drag queen!"
That woman was me! I remembered pretty quickly. And there I was with my lashes and paddings and addings in my hair living proof of my own advice hehe. She told me it made a big difference to her.
It was a magic moment indeed.

They left before we did and I ended up sitting at a table with a bunch of young men one of whom tried to convince me they were a singing group like the ten tenors. I wanted to believe him but after asking a couple of questions it was clear he didn't know anything about singing! But it was good fun and we chatted happily until I left.

I might add that a lot more pina coladas were consumed after that first one and my memories of bits of the night are not great. And also, getting drunk on sickly cocktails is not a success strategy for a pleasant night's sleep. It was heaps of fun but I think I'll return to the usual rituals like visiting the all night bakery, sharing a cuppa with any friend staying over, or just taking off my face and taking down my hair and hitting the sack!!
Not your average night club patron!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy the ‘really should know better than this’ parts of life, and as always, being supportive of other people is a virtue.
    / Vikinggirl

    ReplyDelete