Wednesday, December 26, 2018

A robe of one's own.

I love robes! I love a nice thin cotton robe that folds into next to nowt, for travelling, for lounging, and for doing housework and baking first thing in the morning. So glamorous!
My own current robe I've not blogged about, which is remiss of me. But when staying with amazing friend B in London, she commented how cool it was and I decided she needed one of her own. She's back here in a few weeks on holiday and it's waiting for her under my Christmas tree.
Right, my early onset NY resolution is to go into more construction detail about my makes. But I took no progress pics, so it might be more wordy than visual.
The finished garment on a too small mannequin. Fabric is a classic Jason Yenter print from 2018- butterflies in a secondary colour based pallet that makes me very happy!
Lying flat - the pattern I based it on is an old one, size 14, cut straight up and down. Women have curves, dumb pattern! When we wear straight cut robes the front curves open below the knee, and opens out when we sit down! So, I always angle the pattern pieces to create an A line shape. I added about 30cm to both front and back at the hem, starting at the shoulder. So, more bust and hip room.
All the seams are flat felled so no raw edges anywhere. patch pockets won out over in seam pockets for their strength.
The inside showing the front band. I have three different ways of applying these, depending upon the fabrics used. For this stable cotton, the raw edge is folded under.

It's quite hard to see on this busy print but this is the back neck  - with a reinforcing yoke on the inside and a loop caught into the band seam for easy hanging up.
Front of robe with sleeves folded inward. Shows the band. Gosh I love this fabric but more to the point I know that B will!

You know I've made satin robes and robes out of saris, and they are pretty but they don't stay closed. And those internal ties always bug me. I know there's a place for these lux fabrics but I like a robe I can bake in, even if I am wearing an apron! Easy to wash, cool to wear, breathes, washes and dries easily.
My own current winter robe is made of polar fleece but it bugs me. I think my next one will be corduroy. Maybe interlined with flannel...









4 comments:

  1. So many excellent pointers, the extension into an A-line and the loop included in the inside yoke are instantly taken for future projects. Now, as I already have made the only robe I'll ever need, what are your tips on an apron for that early morning baking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sorry, I didn't see the comments! OK, so my thing about aprons is bib style, because I am messy, a pocket, and ties that go all the way around and tie at the front. Other than that, it's easy and you can make them out of something else as they don't need much fabric. Old jeans make a good apron but it is very heavy so no good for summer.

      Delete
  2. Great tips, thank you. I keep promising myself a robe. Will be more inspired in the summertime though. Or else I'll have to make it out of something wool or fluffy and that wouldn't be half as elegant! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elegance matters!! :) I did make a couple out of polar fleece but I have to say that the reality is not as nice as I thought. Not as breathy as I would like. But it's sooo hot here even typing this is making me feel a bit queasy hehe.

      Delete