Friday, December 7, 2018

West End Wonders and Ooobop!

With three days at large in London over the first weekend in November, I made the most of it!
OMG, this happened! Janene from Ooobop.com and I got to spend quality time together and it's like we'd known each other forever in person not just online. What a gal! We hit the West End and the red wine and I think the cabaret world has a new fangirl - just sayin'!

Yes we were THIS close to Patti LuPone. She is every bit as incredible as her reputation. And in an ensemble piece, she was equally Dive and One of the company (of Company by Sondheim), which is part of her magic.
Ah the West End - terrible and fabulous. I love finding ancient landmarks like Lillywhites - which to me is all about Bertie Wooster and golf clubs!
Excellent busker in Piccadilly Circus by the way. I had a good old sing along.
 I have such a love/hate relationship with the West End. One the one hand it is SO London - people, historically fabulous places - Jermyn Street! Piccadilly Circus! The theatres! The crowds!
But it is also a massive tourist trap with terrible service on overpriced food, souvenirs and shows. Twice that weekend I ripped one in a French Maitre D, including the one at the Waldorf who made such a scene, I pointed out to him that it wasn't a lover's tiff.
A major exception was the food and service at Tandoori Chop in Charing Cross. They do amazing platters of the best Tandoori cuisine. A lovely place to brunch!

4 comments:

  1. The side streets are better for authenticity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you got to see Patti LuPone? Legend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bea I did. She's only on until 22 December and I paid a king's ransom for seats but it was worth it. Amazing production in general too. Company is probably my favourite musical ever; I love its simplicity.

      Delete