Friday, March 19, 2021

A day in a life!

Saturday 13 March dawned fine and clear - perfect for a 24 hour whirlwind trip to Christchurch. The reason was to judge and perform at Bling it On, New Zealand's only burlesque contest for group acts.

As a country we practise contact tracing through a QR code app, and wear masks on public transport, including planes. It's a tiny price to pay for continuing a reasonably free lifestyle within our own borders. I love this mask - it has an internal pocket for a tissue which helps to keep it fresh to wear even in warm weather. A lovely day for flying!

My favourite flying pig mask seemed appropriate for a plane ride

 I got picked up by my lovely friend Jacinta and after a flying visit to take our friend Adele out for coffee, it was home to slap on a pound of warpaint and don a sequinned dress.
Glamour for an evening of judging and belting out a song

After a marathon 3+ hour show, where we lucky judges got front row seats, even though we had to mark and write notes frantically during the MC breaks, and I was so blown away by the improved quality of performances from five years go when I hosted the first show in 2017.

The glamour of all the performers onstage for the curtain call and awards. So proud!

It was a very late night then up earlyish to eat a delicious breakfast cooked by Jacinta's husband Craig, and back to the airport again to return home to a Sunday of relaxing.

It's a busy time for me as I hate being bored so kept my life full of things to do while waiting for a full time contract, and now I have one I am working through those commitments while only picking up a few more. The NZ Fringe Festival is in full swing in Wellington, so I am also reviewing a couple of nights a week - going to a show then getting home to write 300-400 erudite words about it before I can get to bed before my 7am alarm goes off.

I'm sure I will get used to it - I always do! I guess it was apt that the song I performed was Grin and Bare it from the TV show Smash!

No comments:

Post a Comment