Monday, May 24, 2010

The Quilt Exhibition 14-16 May 2010.

What a weekend it was. Like stepping into the past. Johnson Bros teacups and saucers lovingly preserved by the Horticultural Society, in which we served tea and coffee accompanied by home baking. People wandered and looked at quilts, some of which are FAR more modern than the tea service!
I exhibited three things.
1. Amish Dramish
So called because it is an amish block, but the Amish never used silk, in these colours, nor did they quilt dramatic art deco motifs in varicoloured rainbow thread! This quilt I made for some male friends, and I wanted it to be masculine, luxurious and in colours that match their decor. I am told I have succeeded! :)

2. Moulin Rouge
Moulin Rouge is our bed quilt, it is 7' by 7' (212cm x 212cm) and has 61 fabrics in it. It is a friendship quilt which means that other people contributed blocks to it. In this case, I provided the fabrics and colour placement guidelines. It's called Moulin Rouge because it reminds me of those black and rose fringed silk shawls that remind me of Paris in the 1930's (Blame the movie Victor Victoria!) and because the placement of the reds forms windmills around the centre of each block, not that this shows up much in the finished quilt! :) It won first prize in the First Time Exhibitor category. Woohoo! :)

3. Cherries on the top

There was a challenge to make a bra bag, and this is my effort, made from two bras. Each side is a bra, with the top edges sewed together, and then sewed to one another along the wire line. The top opening is the armhole edge of the bra. I saw these cherry bras and couldn't resist. the cherries and leaves are made from PVC fabric.
 I was very proud of KayJay for winning with her gorgeous and witty entry!

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh! But I still think your bra bag was the best!

    And everyone needs to know that the Amish Dramish quilt is gorgeously luminous in real life - the silk gives it such dimension and drama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a nightmare to photograph though, with the flash on it looks like tinfoil! LOL!
    I love my bag, but I love the way KJ used witty selvage words to decorate hers. I can't resist clever use of language combined with creativity. :) But I do think I deserved the Merit...

    ReplyDelete