Tuesday, February 9, 2021

The Week of Red and Gold

 After the rather expensive anti climax of moving out for no real purpose, I really wanted something to look forward to when we returned. So, we decided to re-wallpaper the feature wall. Actually we wanted to do the bedroom too, and I got paper for both from an emporium for $10 a roll! It's posh Canadian stuff, excellent quality, clearly bought as a joblot for next to nothing. I do love a bargain!

My dear friend Ross offered to hang it on a skill swap basis,and he got it all done in a couple of days. Such  hero.

HERE IT IS!!:

Red and gold! How surprising!!!

the completed job. Yes, our floor length curtains are also paisley. So are the dining room chairs, a different one again. Fight me!

With the dresser in pride of place again. With bonus detritus of moving!

We're all in. Well, all but a carload, or two. Yesterday I unpacked wine!

All sorted into wineries. I found things I had forgotten about!

Also, CDs and DVDs, clothes, glassware, all put away on moving day no less. Feeling pretty content, and sore.

Today I was cleaning at the rental. My lovely friend Nicole came to help, in denim short and 5 inch espadrilles, she brought glamour to the work! We're half way there, and hopefully all will be done and dusted tomorrow.

BECAUSE:

On Saturday 13 Feb, I will be on stage at the Wellington Opera House, performing to 900 plus people!! ARGH!!! It's the biggest indoor audience I've ever performed in front of, and at the end of this week, it's going to take a lot of coffee and pep talks.

The stage. The boxes will be full of the Mayor and his family, drag queens, glamorous burlesque performers etc. I've been in one of the lower boxes for all the shows so far, in full Seen from Space glory. To be in it is exciting and terrifying!

Ultimate Queen Wellington the opera house - CREDIT Bruce Mackay DarkerArts.com
This is looking more or less the other way. EEP! This week they opened the Gallery, aka the Gods and it's filling up fast. The theatre has a 1200 capacity, and we are not anticipating a full house, but close to.

Oh, clerly it's the week of Red and Gold.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Maryanne,

    We discovered your blog via Tom Stephenson and are so delighted to have arrived.

    First, we are really dying to know [but almost dared not ask] what the skill was which you 'swapped' with Ron in oder to have the wallpaper pasted to the wall.Ron is obviously speedy and professional [we noticed a spirit level]. We should love to skill swap with him but ....
    ....we cannot think of any skill which either of us has which is worth swapping
    ....we are assuming that Ron is not within easy commuting distance of Budapest which is where we live.

    Still, you have given us the idea of skill swapping now, for which we are truly grateful and which we shall ponder about further.

    Lovely as your wallpaper undoubtedly is, we are drawn to the wine rack. Yes, this we can identify with. Hungarian fizz is £2.50 per bottle in UK money so our wine provision always looks healthy [or unhealthily large].

    We are certain that you will be amazing on stage at the Wellington Opera House. Do not let the red and gold dazzle you.... shine like the star you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane and Lance! The swap is dullsville - admin, making templates and setting up some business systems. I could make up something more exciting but, we must think of the children ;-) I'm pretty sure Ross has been to Budapest though I haven't. One day when the world returns to normal, I will try and come do a Festival there and will wear Red and Gold!
      I wish I could get plonk for 2.50, which is abut $5 here but any wine that price here would clean the drains. The top third or so, fizz on the topmost layer notwithstanding, are around $10, or 5 quid a bottle, but the rest are all from micro wineries in Martinborough, so ranging from about $20 to $70. We keep buying one or two at a time when we are there but never remember to drink them! I hope you're well and coping with the crazy times x

      Delete
  2. Dear Mrs. C.,

    The Opera House? How grand and wonderful! We will enjoy hearing about it!

    Hoping you've had a glass or two of wine at the end of the day's work...getting the wine settled is a an moving priority.

    Oh, and pretty paisley!

    Very best,
    Natalie in an icy Kentucky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very grand and I am having palpitations! The light in our own bathroom mirror is infinitely superior to the rental's and my eyebrows have suddenly been revealed in their feral glory! I've got red goop in my hair, it's game on at Craving Towers :)

      Delete