Sunday, August 16, 2020

Deja Vu?

Here in Middle Earth we thought we had gotten rid of Sauron-19 but it's broken out with 69 cases all linked, thankfully, to one cluster, or in quarantine.

But, we are in Alert level 3 in Auckland, and Level 2 everywhere else. For us in Welly this means social distancing in restaurants and bars and shops, voluntary mask wearing, working from home if you can etc.

Frankly I can't see much evidence of this L2 differing from normal life. It was VERY different when we were coming out of Level 4 then 3, as everyone was in the habit of maintaining distance etc.

What HAS happened however is a huge surge in mask making! At the shop, where I've been working for the last few days while taking annual leave, we have sold hundreds of metres of fabric, cut hundreds of fat quarters, and made thousands of stretch ties from cutting strips of knit fabric. 

The entire country seems to be out of elastic - the factory that produces it about 100k north of here, can't physically produce enough to keep the supply going, hence me paying people to cut strips. 

It's a fun time! 

I am finding my patience with sciency types talking about masks who know nothing of textiles very worn thin. Suggesting a water proof layer? Good work. If it is impermeable enough to not let water through, you can't BREATHE through it. Synthetic fabrics tend to repel moisture but this means any moisture simply goes through the holes in the warp and weft.

Natural fibres absorb moisture and disperse it. So, a damp mask is still going to keep working whereas its synthetic equivalent won't. A kitchen paper towel is an excellent filter because of its absorbency.

This is common bloody sense.

Anyway, I am so tired I can hardly see, I'm cold and I just want a bath and bed. I left my glasses somewhere, I spent several minutes looking for my phone while talking to a friend on it,  think I'm done!

Be well and safe wherever you are my loves

4 comments:

  1. People here have as much idea about the use of masks as your scientists. I think most of them see them as magic talismans to ward off our version of Sauron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like being fans in a kid's game eh. My answer is to make them pretty!

      Delete
  2. Dear Mrs.

    Bravo for stating the common sense! I am all for paper towels inserted in a pocket between mask layers. Many folks know so little about fibers of any type , though, being so far from every creating anything, that perhaps it's not surprising. What IS surprising is that health experts should not have consulted textile experts before making recommendations. A common case of gulfs between fields of knowledge. Most human.

    Here in Kentucky...no, I can't write. It's just sad and complicated and losses are mounting, but I think that most of us are trying to help our neighbor, trying to be safe and to heal wounds of race and inequality. Or so I hope.

    Wishing you a pretty summertime, regardless of the virus, and safety amd health,

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete