Saturday, December 22, 2012

My Bunting Factory

Several people have come into the shop asking if we sell bunting, because we have bunting over our front door. So, I figured I'd make some to help out with the last minute panic present buying.
Then on the way to work yesterday I had a brainwave. I could make bunting for all my nieces and nephews. And if anyone wanted to buy a string of it then they could and I'd just replace it.
So that's what happened. I did sell some too!
Here they are - eight strings of bunting, each one personalised to the recipient's tastes. It was the best fun making it!
All folded up ready to wrap. I used a herring bone trim for the tops. It comes in a range of colours and I think it really adds something to the look. A brass curtain ring at each end for hanging and that's it!
All wrapped and labelled. 
Just SOME of the resulting mess...
The herringbone trim, and a few unsewn flags. I made three extras for tomorrow.
I have so much to do before Tuesday, but I really wanted to give all the children a little something and this was a nice way to do it. And what's the point of owning metric tonnes of fabric scraps if you can't make fun things out of them!
I hope your Christmas making is going well, whatever it involves :)

So, after all that,







11 comments:

  1. Oooh, bunting! What a great way to use fabric scraps!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It surely is. It's also like the fun part of making a quilt - deciding which fabrics to put together - without the hard part of cutting and sewing them. And with a cutting board, ruler and rotary cutter fitted with a pinking blade, it's very quick!

      Delete
  2. Did you use visofix between the layers. I want to make some but haven't got around to it for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is single layer fabric, for putting on the wall, pet. If I were doing double layer, I'd have done just that. Love that stuff!

      Delete
  3. Ohh buntings are so darling.. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've made some bunting and it looks so great! but i didnt think of putting a hook on the end! genius!!!
    happy christmas.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mrs. C.,
    Merry Christmas to you all! Your bunting is so, so cheerful. I've never seen anything like it.

    By the way, I located some Christmas crackers, and our boys -- and everyone else -- really like them. Believe we'll be cracking crackers again next year, too. Thank you for introducing such a neat Christmas tradition!

    Hugs,

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, Natalie! IT is a bit of silly fun but that never goes wrong on such a lovely family day, does it :)

      Delete
  6. What a great idea, but nothing like some mammoth making just before Christmas to get the crafty adrenaline flowing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a torrent, Winnie! I have been churning out prototypes, working on patterns, and now I am about to tackle a couple of wadders from my last retreat that turned out a lot less well than the Burda jacket did. More on that soon though :)

      Delete